An engaging advocate in trial and appellate courts, B.D. Daniel works to develop novel case strategies to secure victory by means of jury verdict, judicial decision, arbitration award, or mediated settlement.
Colleagues and clients welcome B.D.’s insightful analysis and innovative approaches in the firm’s most complex commercial and financial cases. Because of his groundbreaking work as Special Litigation Counsel in the U.S. Department of Justice and his involvement at the firm in “bet the company” oil spill disaster cases, B.D. has unique experience handling lawsuits raising novel issues under a broad range of federal environmental statutes.
- MDL 1279, Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill Litigation (E.D. La.) – lead responsibility for legal strategy and briefing for defense of product manufacturer.
- MDL 863, Taxable Municipal Bonds Securities Litigation (E.D. La.) – first chair defense of bond trustee, including arguments before Fifth Circuit and JPML.
- MDL 310, Corrugated Container Antitrust Litigation (S.D. Tex.) – wide-ranging pretrial responsibilities for Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee.
Successful Appeals – Briefing and Analysis
- OOGC America, L.L.C. v. Chesapeake Exploration, L.L.C., 975 F.3d 449 (5th Cir. 2020)
- Environment Texas Citizens Lobby v. ExxonMobil Corp., 968 F.3d 357, 824 F.3d 507 (5th Cir.2020, 2016)
- Retractable Technologies, Inc. v. Becton Dickinson and Co., 842 F.3d 883 (5th Cir. 2016)
- In re Deepwater Horizon, 745 F.3d 57 (5th Cir. 2014)
Publications & Presentations
- Presentations: Fifth Circuit Update, Recent Decisions of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Southern District Chapter of the Federal Bar Association, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 Download PDF
- Walker Process Proof: The Proper Prescription, 41 Rutgers L.J. 105 (2009)
- The Right of Trial by Jury in Patent Infringement Cases, 28 Rev. Litig. 735 (2009)
- Potential Liability of Marine Classification Societies to Non-Contracting Parties, 19 U.S.F. Mar. L.J. 183 (2007)
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
September 18, 2020
January 31, 2020
February 20, 2019
December 7, 2016
October 8, 2014
December 12, 2020
October 10, 2020