Chad Flores is an appellate specialist. He has been board certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 2012 and was recently recognized by Best Lawyers in America in the field of appellate litigation.
As lead appellate counsel, Chad has argued dozens of cases in federal and state appellate courts across the nation. He also provides strategic counseling in anticipation of appeal, such as in the jury charge and dispositive-motions contexts.
Chad also litigates complex matters of constitutional and administrative law from inception. In this capacity, he recently represented commercial clients at both the trial and appellate levels in suits against federal and state officials concerning the United States Constitution’s First Amendment, Second Amendment, Fifth Amendment, and Commerce Clause, as well as the Administrative Procedure Act.
- In re Brown, No. 19-0877, 2020 WL 7413728 (Tex. 2020).
- Defense Distributed v. Attorney Gen. of New Jersey, 972 F.3d 193 (3d Cir. 2020).
- Marcus & Millichap Real Estate Inv. Services of Nevada, Inc. v. Chandra, 822 F. App’x 597 (9th Cir. 2020).
- Defense Distributed v. Grewal, 971 F.3d 485 (5th Cir. 2020).
- In re UPS Ground Freight, Inc., No. 12-19-00412-CV, 2020 WL 975357 (Tex. App.—Tyler 2020).
- Collins v. Mnuchin, 938 F.3d 553 (5th Cir. 2019), cert. granted, 141 S. Ct. 193 (2020).
- Defense Distributed v. United States Dep’t of State, 947 F.3d 870 (5th Cir. 2020).
- In re Kosmos Energy Sao Tome & Principe, 579 S.W.3d 741 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2019).
- Swift Energy Operating, LLC v. Regency Field Services LLC, 608 S.W.3d 214 (Tex. App.—San Antonio 2019).
- Cho v. Kim, 572 S.W.3d 783 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2019).
- Wilmington Tr., Nat’l Ass’n v. Hsin-Chi-Su, 573 S.W.3d 845 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2018).
- Interactive Brokers LLC v. Saroop, No. 17-2154, 2017 WL 8751822 (4th Cir. 2017).
- Freeman v. American K-9, No. 15-0932 (Tex. 2017).
- Levinson Alcoser Assocs., L.P. v. El Pistolon II, Ltd., 513 S.W.3d 487 (Tex. 2017).
- Gallier v. Woodbury Fin. Servs., Inc., No. 16-20638 (5th Cir. 2017).
- BH Contractors, LLC v. Helix Energy Sols. Group, Inc., No. 14-15-01035-CV, 2017 WL 3611887 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2017).
- Collins v. Federal Housing Finance Agency, 254 F. Supp. 3d 841 (S.D. Tex. 2017).
- Roger v. Mumme, No. 13-13-00481-CV, 2016 WL 2955902 (Tex. App.—Corpus Christi 2016).
- Owens v. Jastrow, 789 F.3d 529 (5th Cir. 2015).
- U.S. ex rel. Ligai v. ESCO Technologies, Inc., 611 Fed. Appx. 219 (5th Cir. 2015).
- Glassell Producing Co. v. Jared Res., Ltd., 422 S.W.3d 68 (Tex. App.—Texarkana 2014).
- Alejos v. VIA Metro. Advanced Transp. Dist., 433 S.W.3d 112 (Tex. App.—Austin 2014).
- In re Seneca Res. Corp., No. 01-14-00587-CV, 2014 WL 4936775 (Tex. App.—Houston [1st Dist.] 2014).
- Meritage Homes of Texas, L.L.C. v. Ruan, No. 05-13-00831-CV, 2014 WL 4558772 (Tex. App.—Dallas 2014).
- Prime Income Asset Mgmt., Inc. v. Marcus & Millichap Real Estate Inv. Services of Texas, Inc., No. 01-13-00020-CV, 2014 WL 7473801 (Tex. App.—Houston [1st Dist.] 2014).
- McManaway v. KBR, Inc., No. 12-20763, 2013 WL 8359992 (5th Cir. 2013).
- Tricon Energy Ltd. v. Vinmar Int’l, Ltd., 718 F.3d 448 (5th Cir. 2013).
- Callahan v. Gulf Logistics, L.L.C., 456 Fed. Appx. 385 (5th Cir. 2011).
- Drapela v. United States, 419 F. App’x 500 (5th Cir. 2011).
Honors & Awards
- Named in Best Lawyers in America for Appellate Practice (2021)
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” in Appellate Law by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers – Texas, 2013 – 2020, and Up-and-Coming 100 for Texas Rising Stars (2018 and 2020)
Publications & Presentations
- Presenter, State Bar of Texas Civil Appellate Practice 101, Appealability: When is a judgment final? (2016)
- The Texas Supreme Court’s Erroneous Doctrine of Implied Appellate Jurisdiction, 41 St. Mary’s L.J. 1 (2009)
- Appealing Class Action Certification Decisions Under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 23(f), 4 Seton Hall Cir. Rev. 27 (2008) (cited by 3 William B. Rubenstien, Newberg on Class Actions §§ 7:42, 7:45 (5th ed. 2017) and David F. Herr, Annotated Manual for Complex Litigation § 15.12 (4th ed. 2017)).
- Marital Jam Sessions on Trial: Ecclesiastical Abstention and Employment Division, Department of Human Resources v. Smith in the Supreme Court of Texas, 9 Scholar 409 (2007) (cited by Recent Cases, 121 Harv. L. Rev. 676 (2007)).
Professional Activities & Memberships
- United States Supreme Court Historical Society
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society
- Bar Association for the Fifth Federal Circuit
- Texas Bar Association, Appellate Section
- Houston Bar Association, Appellate Section
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
September 13, 2016
June 20, 2016
July 30, 2015
July 8, 2015
October 21, 2014
April 1, 2013
October 23, 2012
February 9, 2012
August 8, 2020
March 3, 2018