Jim Taylor began his private practice representing a wide variety of business clients.
He excels in synthesizing large amounts of information, simplifying disputes, and presenting his client’s position in a compelling way for judges and juries. He has broad experience evaluating claims and prosecuting a wide variety of cases, including oil and gas litigation, legal and accounting malpractice, patent and intellectual property litigation, and general business litigation. Jim serves as an elder in his church and is very active in his community.
- Assisted in the representation of a small software company in protecting a judgment of over $700 million. Assisted in post-trial briefing in the trial court, and in briefing and filings in the court of appeals and Texas Supreme Court.
- Assisted in the Representation (trial and appeal) of midstream pipeline company Enterprise Products Partners in its landmark victory against ETP. In 2020, the Texas Supreme Court ruled in favor of client Enterprise Products, clearing it of a $535 million judgment, and holding in a unanimous opinion that Enterprise and ETP never formed a partnership under Texas law to develop a proposed crude oil pipeline.
- Represented a small oil and gas company in a claim against a large oil and gas producer in a case involving breach of a confidentiality agreement. Conducted virtually all pretrial activities including drafting all pretrial motions, taking and presenting all fact witness depositions, and locating and preparing expert witnesses. Participated significantly at trial preparing arguments and all witness examinations, presenting witnesses and arguing motions. The Firm obtained a verdict for $140 million. The case was subsequently settled on appeal.
- Successfully defended a large oil and gas company in litigation with neighboring landowners regarding offset well obligations. The plaintiff contended that the client had failed to drill multiple offset wells on multiple leases. After litigating the case for several years, the case was resolved on favorable terms.
Class Action/Multi-District Litigation
- Assisted in the Representation of oil field services client in the Deepwater Horizon Litigation. Responsible for the removal of scores of state law cases to federal court, responding to any remand motions, and shepherding cases into the MDL court. Also involved in substantial briefing on issues relating to jurisdiction, preemption, choice of law, and various other issues. Participated in numerous depositions.
- Assisted in the representation of a large home insurance company in a class action against claims for several hundred million dollars. Participated in successful efforts to amend governing statute in favor of client’s position, performing all necessary research, drafting new statutory language, and working with lobbyists.
Employment & Executive Employment Litigation
- Represented a major oil & gas company against claims of sexual harassment. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the client terminating all claims.
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Represented a major software company in a claim against a customer arising out of the design and implementation of custom software. Primarily responsible for pre arbitration discovery and motion practice. Participated in arbitration preparing witness for examination and presenting arguments. Our client obtained an arbitration award of over $2 million.
- Represented telecommunications company in patent litigation. Involved in pretrial discovery, claim construction briefing and hearing, and motion practice. Participated in trial preparing arguments and preparing witnesses for examination and arguing motions.
- Represented computer chip manufacturer in patent litigation. Involved in pretrial discovery, claim construction briefing and hearing, and motion practice. Participated in trial preparing arguments and preparing witnesses for examination and arguing motions.
- Represented a national accounting firm in a legal malpractice action. Primarily responsible for all pretrial activities and motion practice. Participated significantly in trial preparing arguments, presented witnesses and arguing motions. The Firm obtained a jury verdict and a judgment of no liability and no damages.
Trusts & Estates Litigation
- Represented a midsize law firm in a professional liability action arising out of an estate estimated at over $1 billion. Primarily responsible for all pretrial activities in this highprofile and sprawling case that featured scores of depositions and a record amount of court filings. The case had significant media attention because of the presence of the widow, Anna Nicole Smith. Tried the case with David Beck in a trial that lasted over five months. Prepared trial briefs and argued motions. The Firm obtained a directed verdict on behalf of the client.
- Represented a trust beneficiary in litigation with other family members with respect to a trust worth several hundred million dollars. Addressed numerous novel issues and assisted in resolving the action on favorable terms.
Publications & Presentations
- Note, Reservations on Tribal Sovereignty: How United States v. Lara Will Affect Indians, Tribes, and the Fight to Regain Independence, 43 Hous. L. Rev. 527 (2006).
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Member of board of directors of The Point Ministries at the University of Houston
- Elder at the West University Church of Christ
August 21, 2018
December 12, 2020