Jackie Furlow’s engaging style and easy presence make her an effective advocate for clients both in and out of the courtroom.
Jackie is committed to achieving the best result for the client by navigating litigation strategically and efficiently from its outset, maximizing the likelihood of success at every stage. She brings to each case a sharp attention to detail, sound and practical legal judgment, and utmost preparedness.
Jackie has acquired significant experience representing clients in the energy, legal, business, and real estate sectors in a variety of matters including business disputes, professional malpractice, products liability and employment disputes, among others.
- Obtained dismissal for concrete chipping company in business interference litigation. Briefed and assisted in arguing motion to dismiss claims for tortious interference and business disparagement pursuant to Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 91a and the Texas Citizens Participation Act. The court granted the motion on both grounds and awarded the client attorneys’ fees and sanctions against the opposing party.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a national commercial real estate brokerage firm in action to recover misappropriated commission payment. Served as first-chair counsel. Managed all case discovery, fact witness depositions, expert witness preparation and drafting of pretrial motions, including motions to compel and for summary judgment. The case settled on favorable terms for the client prior to trial.
- Obtained dismissal for out-of-state law firm and individual lawyers in professional negligence litigation. Briefed and argued special appearance for lack of personal jurisdiction to the court, which was granted, completely dismissing the lawsuit.
- Obtained dismissal for out-of-state steel construction company in breach-of-contract litigation. Briefed special appearance for lack of personal jurisdiction to the court. The plaintiff nonsuited its action the day before the hearing on the special appearance, completely dismissing the lawsuit.
- Obtained favorable settlement for oil and gas exploration and production company against a construction contractor that damaged the company’s frac water pond liner. Briefed and argued partial summary judgment regarding the defendant contractor’s liability for breach of express warranty to the court, which was granted, leaving only damages. After the court granted summary judgment, the case settled on favorable terms for the client.
- Defended Am Law 200 law firm sued for millions of dollars in case involving allegations of negligence and breach of fiduciary duty. After extensive written discovery, briefed partial summary judgment regarding liability for negligence, which the court granted, leaving only claims of breach of fiduciary duty. After the court granted summary judgment, the case settled on favorable terms for the client.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch,” Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” in Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers – Texas, 2020
Publications & Presentations
- Presenter, “Lawyer Ethics in and out of the Conference Room: Not-so-Hypothetical Case Studies,” Texas Young Lawyers Association (November 2020)
- Co-Presenter, “Lawyer Ethics in the Conference Room and the Courtroom,” Association of Corporate Counsel Houston Chapter (October 2020)
- Presenter, “The Ethical Boundaries of Reviewing Jurors’ Internet Presence: An Overview of Ethical Rules and Opinions in Texas and Across the Country,” The University of Texas School of Law Houston Young Alumni Association (January 2019)
- Co-Author, “The Ethical Boundaries of Reviewing Jurors’ Internet Presence: National Highlights,” The Computer & Internet Lawyer, Vol. 34, No. 6 (June 2017)
- Co-Author and Presenter, “Intentional Fouls at Trial and on Appeal,” Texas Associate of Defense Counsel, Spring Meeting (Spring 2016)
- Co-Author, “The Ethical Boundaries of Reviewing Jurors’ Internet Presence: The Need for a Rule in Texas,” The Advocate, a publication of the State Bar of Texas Litigation Section, at 51 (Fall 2016)
- Co-Author, “Today’s Jurors: Are They Changing?,” State Bar of Texas 8th Annual Business Disputes Conference (Fall 2016)
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Institute for Energy Law Young Energy Professional Advisory Board Member, 2020-2021
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Firm Liaison, 2017-2020
- Holiday Party Co-Chair, 2015
- Houston Bar Association
- Fellow, Houston Young Lawyers Foundation
- Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- LeadershipSBOT (Class of 2015-2016)
- 44th Annual Trial Academy, International Association of Defense Counsel (Participant, 2016)
Jackie is an active leader in the Houston community and currently serves as an executive board member and chair of fundraising for GiGi’s Playhouse Houston, an affiliate of a national nonprofit organization providing educational and therapeutic services to Houston children with Down syndrome and their families.
Jackie is also actively involved in Child Advocates and the Houston Young Lawyers Foundation’s Adopt-an-Angel program.
Jackie currently serves on Beck Redden’s recruiting committee and is active in the Firm’s pro bono initiatives, including regular work on matters for the Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program.
May 16, 2018
October 10, 2020
August 8, 2020