Fields Alexander is, by choice, a trial lawyer who handles a wide range of matters on both sides of the docket for both individual and corporate clients.
He has significant experience in disputes concerning commercial transactions, business torts, professional malpractice, and energy litigation. He has also successfully handled a number of appeals.
Fields has won verdicts and arbitration awards for both plaintiffs and defendants in a number of venues in Texas, across the country, and abroad. His success with juries, judges, and arbitrators is recognized by his peers, as evidenced by his election into the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers, and the American Board of Trial Advocates. He has been repeatedly recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America (2009-2021) in several practice areas, including Lawyer of the Year in Product Liability Litigation (Defendants) in 2020.
- In 2019, along with Beck Redden partner Kate Skagerberg, won a take nothing award following a two week trial in Harris County State court on behalf of an international energy company in a lawsuit alleging age discrimination brought by a senior executive who was demoted and subsequently terminated.
- In 2019, along with Beck Redden partner Kate Skagerberg, won a take nothing award in Beaumont on behalf of a prominent Texas law firm in an arbitration filed by a former attorney of that firm asserting, among other claims, gender discrimination, harassment, and retaliatory discharge.
- In 2019, prevailed in an appeal to the Fourth Circuit. The court of appeals affirmed a federal district court judgment in favor of the Firm’s client in all respects.
- In 2018, with Beck Redden partner Kate Skagerberg, won a unanimous defense verdict in state court in Dallas in a threshold product liability action alleging that the client’s product had caused a structure fire.
- In 2018, won an award in a London arbitration of almost $30 million with co-counsel Stephen Midwinter, QC of Brick Court Chambers. The arbitration was filed on behalf of an energy company and concerned equipment that failed when installed on an offshore oil and gas rig.
- In 2017, won a take nothing judgment following trial in West Virginia federal court on behalf of a major oil and gas company in a case alleging failure to develop a mineral estate.
- In 2017, with Beck Redden partner Kate Skagerberg and Provost Umphrey partner Joe Fisher, successfully represented a law firm and its partner in an arbitration seeking payment of unpaid legal bills and defending counterclaims for legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, and excessive fees. We prevailed in defeating all claims against the firm and its partner and won an award of $1.9M – recovering all the firm’s unpaid legal fees as well as fees and costs incurred in prosecuting the arbitration.
- In 2015, with Beck Redden partner Kate Skagerberg, represented a family in successfully challenging a series of wills that bequeathed virtually all of a widow’s estate to her stockbroker. Following a two week trial in probate court in Jefferson County, Texas, the jury disregarded 15 consecutive wills, finding that the last valid will was one executed in 2006 that left the entire estate to the family.
- In 2015, successfully defended clients in an arbitration arising out of a commercial real estate transaction. Claimants were awarded nothing, and were required to pay several hundred thousand dollars in fees and costs to the Firm’s clients.
- In 2014, successfully defended client in a commercial arbitration alleging fraud, professional malpractice, and general negligence. Claimants sought over $1 million and were awarded nothing.
- In 2011, successfully defended an arbitration brought by General Electric with Beck Redden partner Russell Post. General Electric sought over $5M in a business dispute involving alleged indemnity obligations. The Panel ruled in favor of Beck Redden’s client, awarding GE nothing.
- In 2009, represented a plaintiff as lead trial counsel in a commercial dispute in Chicago federal court with Jones Day’s Chicago Office. The jury found for plaintiff on all claims, awarded all sought damages, and rejected all of the defendant’s counterclaims. Mr. Alexander subsequently argued the appeal of this judgment before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, which affirmed in all respects.
- In 2008, successfully defended a client in a commercial real estate arbitration. Claimant sought over $1M and was awarded nothing.
- In 2006, with Beck Redden attorney Joe Redden, successfully defended a strict liability/pharmaceutical case at trial in a Jefferson County, Texas state court. Defendant stipulated liability and prevailed with the jury on causation.
- In 2004, served as co-lead counsel in the successful defense of several jury trials in Jefferson County, Texas, alleging fraud and intentional misconduct and asserting damages in excess of $40M. Significant wrongful death and personal injury claims were involved. One trial resulted in a nominal damage award which was subsequently reversed and rendered on appeal. The other resulted in a complete defense verdict.
Honors & Awards
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer, 2020
- Named in Best Lawyers in America’s 2020 “Lawyer of the Year” for Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Named in Best Lawyers in America for Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants and Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2009 – 2021
- Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a Local Litigation Star, 2012- 2021
- Named in Thomson Reuters Texas Super Lawyers – General Litigation, 2012 – 2020
- Recognized in Chambers USA in Litigation: General Commercial (Texas), 2021
Publications & Presentations
- Texas Bar’s Annual Business Torts Update, Fiduciary Duty in Texas, October 2009
- Buddy Can You Spare a Federal Issue? Federal Jurisdiction in Certain Legal Malpractice Claims, IADC Professional Liability Newsletter, September 2008
- Texas Bar’s Annual Litigation Update Institute, Commercial Litigation Update, January 2008
- Panel member, Annual Taxpayers Against Fraud Conference, Washington, D.C., September 2006
Professional Activities & Memberships
- The American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers
- Member, State Bar of Texas Disciplinary Rules Committee
- State Bar of Texas Administration of Rules of Evidence Committee
- Member, 2008 – 2013
- Chair, 2011 – 2013
- Member, HBA Professionalism Committee
- Adjunct Professor, University of Houston, Spring 2008, Fall 2004
- Board of Directors (Vice-President) for Camp Aranzazu
December 31, 2014
October 19, 2012
October 19, 2012
January 27, 2012
June 6, 2021
October 10, 2020
August 8, 2020
September 9, 2019
August 8, 2019
September 9, 2018