As an entrepreneur prior to law school, Joel understands that clients have worked hard to build businesses, both big and small, which are impacted by potential or existing litigation.
That understanding fuels a dedicated, detail oriented approach to meeting the client’s goals and expectations in each matter. Joel combines his business acumen gained as an entrepreneur with a keen understanding of what persuades judges and juries to craft winning arguments.
For over a decade, Joel has honed his persuasive writing and speaking, competing and coaching in various moot court and mock trial organizations. Most recently, he helped lead Baylor Law School to its 2012 National Championship in the American College of Trial Lawyers’ National Trial Competition.
Prior to joining the firm, Joel clerked for The Honorable Ed Kinkeade in the Northern District of Texas. There he learned first-hand how to persuade judges and juries in a range of complex matters, including patent, trademark, and copyright infringement; product liability; employment; and general commercial litigation. Joel’s clerkship built on prior experience with the judiciary in various state and federal courts in Texas.
- Represented Texas law firm in arbitration that asserted claims against departing lawyer related to breach of contract with the partnership. Obtained a favorable arbitration award following a five-day arbitration hearing. Joel second-chaired the arbitration and conducted direct examination of the firm’s principle expert witness. The case settled during proceedings to confirm the award.
- Represented a top 10 Fortune 500 company pursuing claims in federal court that its family of trademarks were being infringed and diluted.
- Obtained dismissal of a multi-million dollar breach of contract claim regarding an alleged indemnity obligation. Joel briefed the Rule 12 motion to the federal court, which dismissed the case at the initial scheduling conference.
- Represented Texas partnership in bet-the-company arbitration against claims by departing partner for enforcement of purported partner withdrawal agreement. The case settled days before the final arbitration hearing.
- Represented a top 50 worldwide company subsidiary in declaratory action and breach of contract case arising out of a drilling obligation dispute. Joel second chaired the federal bench trial, including delivering the opening statement and direct examination of the principle expert reservoir engineering witness. The district court found in favor of the firm’s client and the trial court’s findings and conclusions were affirmed on appeal.
- Defended Texas law firm in parallel arbitrations against claims by former law firm partners for payment of a portion of attorneys’ fees earned by the partnership in long-running contingency fee cases. The case settled while dispositive motions regarding contract construction were pending.
- Represented the nation’s largest commercial real estate brokerage firm in claims against departing agent for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty. The case settled on confidential terms prior to trial.
- Represented Fortune 200 oil company in dispute with landowners regarding interpretation and performance of governing leases. Following summary judgment briefing on construction of the lease, the case settled on confidential terms.
- Defended Texas law firm against claims of breach of an oral contract to divide contingency fees and fraud. The case settled while dispositive motions were pending challenging the enforceability of an alleged oral agreement to divide contingency fees in Texas.
- Lead counsel for multiple clients alleged to be alter egos. Following briefing on summary judgment motions, the case settled on favorable terms.
- Lead counsel for Texas state prisoner pro bono in civil rights lawsuit. Secured monetary settlement in favor of Texas state prisoner for injuries sustained while being restrained by Texas state prison guards.
- Defended Texas executive recruiting and advisory firm against claim of breach of contract. Joel briefed and argued the summary judgment issues and obtained dismissal of all claims against the firm’s client.
- Represented fabricator of marine energy stations against claims of breach of contract by subcontractor and third-party claims against Siemens for breach of construction contract. After extensive discovery, the case settled on confidential terms.
- Lead counsel for several entities managing multifamily real estate projects, defending against alleged breach of contract claims. The case settled on confidential terms.
- Lead counsel for subsidiary of Fortune 500 company asserting claims for breach of a prior settlement agreement. Obtained an agreed judgment as part of a settlement reached while dispositive motions for breach of the prior settlement were pending.
- Lead counsel for an IT services provider asserting claims against a former key employee for breach of non-competition and non-disclosure provisions of confidentiality agreement. The case settled prior to the company’s temporary injunction hearing.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” in Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers – Texas, 2020
- National Championship Team, National Trial Competition
- National Semi-finalist Team, ABA Labor Law Mock Trial Competition
- Finalist and Top Speaker, Administrative & Public Law Moot Court Competition
- Finalist, Dawson & Sodd Moot Court Competition
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Houston Young Lawyers Foundation
- Board of Directors, Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
August 8, 2020