From the moment a case is filed through appeal, Owen is focused on telling his client’s story.
A student of legal argument and persuasion, Owen regularly handles appeals in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, the Supreme Court of Texas, and courts of appeals around the state and country, including the Supreme Court of the United States. Representing both plaintiffs and defendants, Owen also brings his appellate expertise to bear in the trial court as well, handling critical motions and jury charges across all areas of civil law.
As a federal law clerk at both the trial and appellate level, Owen handled cases at all stages of litigation and came to understand that clarity and credibility are the keys to persuasive advocacy. Owen brings this experience and an intense attention to detail to every stage of litigation, helping his clients cut through complex legal issues and develop sound, persuasive arguments that maximize the prospects of success both at trial and on appeal.
Owen was recognized in the inaugural edition of Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch (2021) for his work as an Appellate practitioner.
- Olive v. University of Houston: Lead appellate counsel for plaintiff before the Supreme Court of Texas. Prosecuting claim that copyright infringement by a state actor constitutes a “taking” under the United States and Texas Constitutions.
- Accordant v. Sayers: Lead appellate counsel for plaintiff. Successfully obtained remand in dispute regarding federal jurisdiction over a AAA arbitration judgment.
- In re Jesus Rodriguez Aguero, M.D., Deceased: Lead appellate counsel for plaintiff. Successfully defeated multiple mandamus petitions before the Thirteenth Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Texas.
- Valles v. Bayou Place: Lead appellate counsel for plaintiff. Successfully secured remand in the Southern District of Texas.
- Allen v. Cooper: Drafted amicus curiae brief in support of plaintiff in the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Gao v. Blue Ridge Landfill: Appellate counsel and primary drafting attorney for defendant. Summary judgment in client’s favor affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Waypoint Lodging LLC v. Catlin Insurance: Lead appellate counsel on insurance appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- QTAT v. LRS: Appellate counsel for defendant. Responsible for critical motions and jury charge at trial.
- Dalton Logistics v. Universal: Appellate counsel for plaintiff. Successfully affirmed multi-million dollar promissory estoppel verdict in the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers in America “Ones to Watch,” Appellate Practice, 2021
Publications & Presentations
- Panelist, Texas Greats on Business Litigation, 40th Annual Page Keeton Civil Litigation Conference (UT Law CLE), October 2016
- Illinois Assault Weapons Ban Upheld; En Banc or Supreme Court Review Ahead? Bloomberg BNA The United States Law Week, May 5, 2015
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Houston Bar Association
- Federalist Society, Houston Lawyer’s Chapter
January 6, 2020
November 14, 2019
August 8, 2020