Seepan focuses his practice in commercial litigation and intellectual property disputes.
He has successfully handled several multi-million dollar and bet-the-company cases for both plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state courts and arbitral forums nationwide. Drawing upon his skills and experience in the courtroom, Seepan thrives in distilling complex cases to themes and facts that resonate with judges and juries. In doing so, he employs a tireless work ethic, fierce tenacity, and unwavering integrity to advocate on behalf of his clients — ranging from major oil and gas producers, unicorn startups, and Fortune 500 companies to small businesses and individuals.
Seepan’s IP experience includes litigating claims of patent and trademark infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, and breach of licensing agreements. He has also represented companies from a variety of industries — energy, software, real estate, and telecommunications — in complex commercial cases involving allegations of fraud, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty.
A first-generation Armenian-American, Seepan has also proudly served as pro bono counsel in several cases involving international human rights and refugee resettlement. He has served as counsel for amici curiae in two cases before the U.S. Supreme Court – one involving insurance claims of genocide victims and the other dealing with Holocaust-era recovery of Picasso’s acclaimed painting The Actor.
Outside the courtroom, Seepan maintains leadership positions in the Houston community. He is the youngest ever Chair of the International Law Section of the Houston Bar Association and also serves as President of the Stanford Alumni Club of Houston. Seepan is also on the Board of the Baker Institute of Public Policy Roundtable Young Professionals, and is a Fellow of the Houston Young Lawyers Foundation and Texas Bar Foundation.
Intellectual Property Cases
- Represented SandBox in an intellectual property dispute, securing a $49.2 million judgment and unanimous jury finding that Arrows Up and its CEO breached their contractual obligations and committed fraud by using information provided by SandBox under a non-disclosure agreement to design and market copycat products. In addition to monetary damages, the judgment awards SandBox title to and possession of the frac sand shipping containers that Arrows Up has manufactured, sold or leased since January 2015 based on the jury’s finding that key features of Arrows Ups containers were derived from SandBox’s design. Managed discovery, took and defended multiple depositions, prepared case for trial, examined witnesses during trial, and drafted and argued dispositive motions. A copy of the judgment may be found here.
- Pursuing claims for patent infringement and breach of contract on behalf of fracking services company against competitor in Texas federal court. Prepared deposition outlines, drafted and prepared arguments for motions for TRO preliminary injunction, and summary judgment, and drafted and argued response to anti-SLAPP motion. Case set for trial in January 2019.
- Defended manufacturer of audio-visual equipment against patent infringement claims brought by competitor in jury trial in Arizona federal court. As third chair, aided in voir dire, prepared witnesses and direct and cross-examination outlines, drafted motions for judgment as a matter of law and post-verdict motions, argued evidentiary issues, and drafted jury instructions and trial briefs. Secured favorable jury verdict including dismissal of claim of willful infringement.
- Represented leading provider of electronic postage services against patent infringement claims in California federal court. Managed discovery, drafted motions in limine, and prepared for trial. Case settled favorably on eve of trial.
- Pursued claims for misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract on behalf of fracking services company against major oil services company in Texas state court. Prepared deposition outlines, drafted discovery motions, and managed discovery. Case settled in client’s favor during discovery.
- Defended major wholesale furniture and décor company as lead counsel against claims of trademark and copyright infringement in New York federal court by competitor. Managed discovery and negotiated favorable settlement early in discovery allowing client to continue selling accused products with no license or royalty fee.
- Defended national retailers of apparel in joint defense litigation against claims of trademark infringement. Drafted pleadings, managed discovery, and drafted and argued summary judgment motion before case settled with multiple defendants.
- Pursued claims for breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud on behalf of nursing college and its owner against investment bank in AAA arbitration. As sole associate, took and defended multiple depositions, prepared case for arbitration, drafted direct and cross-examination outlines, and drafted pre-hearing and post-hearing briefs. Arbitral panel awarded client ownership redemption rights and over $7 million in damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Defended major oil and gas exploration company against claims for breach of contract, fraud, and conspiracy by subcontractor in AAA arbitration. As sole associate, cross-examined key witnesses during final arbitral hearing, drafted motion to dismiss, took depositions of key witnesses, and prepared case for arbitration. Arbitral panel dismissed all claims in favor of client.
- Defended largest farm-to-table delivery business in Los Angeles as lead counsel in California state court against claims of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and misappropriation of trade secrets. Took and defended multiple depositions, led mediation, drafted and argued motions for summary judgment, and prepared for jury trial. Case settled on eve of trial for less than 1% of relief sought.
- Represented online jewelry retailer as lead counsel in California state court against public relations firm for fraud, breach of contract, and misappropriation of trade secrets. Managed discovery, took depositions, and negotiated settlement resulting in shutdown of improper competing business conduct.
- Defended major wholesale furniture and décor company as lead counsel against class action lawsuit alleging violations of California Proposition 65 in state court. Drafted and argued dispositive motions and negotiated settlement for fraction of original demand.
- Defended industrial services company against claims for invasion of privacy, tortious interference, and fraud by former employee in Oklahoma state court. As sole associate, took and defended multiple depositions, drafted and argued discovery motions and motions in limine, and prepared case for jury trial. Case settled for less than 10% of relief sought.
- Defended industrial services company against breach of contract claims by former employee. Successfully removed and transferred case from California state court to Texas federal court, where case promptly settled in favor of client.
- Represented major ski resort operator against main competitor in Utah state court in high-profile, complex real estate litigation involving issues of lease termination, right of first refusal, and fixtures. Aided in drafting motions to dismiss and for summary judgment. Case settled after summary judgment hearing.
- Defending major law firm against claims of legal malpractice, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud by former NFL player in Texas state court. As sole associate, managed discovery, drafted and argued motion for summary judgment, and prepared depositions. Case set for trial in October 2019.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” in Business Litigation by Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers – Texas, 2020-2021
- Best Lawyers Ones to Watch 2021
- Texas Lawyer Verdicts Hall of Fame 2019 (top verdict in contract dispute)
Publications & Presentations
- U.S. Election Results and International Law: A Survey of Key Trends and Issues (with former Legal Adviser to U.S. Department of State and Dean of Yale Law School Harold Koh), Houston Bar Association International Law Section (January 2021)
- The Rise of AI in International Arbitration, Houston Bar Association International Law Section (December 2020)
- Houston as a Global City: Challenges and Opportunities for International Trade, Houston Bar Association International Law Section (November 2020)
- COVID-19 & Immigration: Impact on the Courts and Business, Houston Bar Association International Law Section (October 2020)
- Holocaust and Genocide Art Recovery Claims: Exploring Approaches in the United States, American Bar Association Appellate Practice Committee (June 2020)
- Startup Houston 2.0: In Conversation with Amplo CEO Sheel Tyle, Stanford Alumni Association (October 2019)
- Trade Wars & the Supreme Court: A Primer for Doing Business in China, Houston Bar Association International Law Section, Houston, Texas (September 2019)
- HTX 2.0: A Path Forward for Houston’s Startup Ecosystem, Chambers Talks, Chambers Forum Houston (June 2019)
- Non-Disclosure Agreements as Tools to Protect Trade Secrets, Armenian Bar Association Annual Meeting, Columbia Law School, New York (October 2018)
- Up to Speed, Co-Author, Guantanamo Bay Presidential Task Force Report, Pacific Council on International Policy (February 2016)
- The Road to Restorative Justice on the Centennial of the Armenian Genocide, Armenian Bar Association Annual National Meeting, Beverly Hills, California (June 2015)
- The Meaning of the Armenian Genocide for the Diaspora, Stanford University Conference Series on the Armenian Genocide, Stanford University (April 2015)
- Inside Guantanamo: KSM and the Future of Military Commissions, Pacific Council on International Policy Members’ Weekend, Los Angeles, California (October 2014)
- Public Policy & the Private Sector, Pacific Council on International Policy Roundtable, Los Angeles, California (September 2014)
- Beyond Bergdahl: Inside Guantanamo, Pacific Council on International Policy Roundtable, Los Angeles, California (July 2014)
- Ukraine Divided: Rising Tensions between Russia and the West, Pacific Council on International Policy Spring Conference, Los Angeles, California (April 2014)
- The Role of Energy Utilities as Critical Infrastructure in Obama’s Cybersecurity Executive Order, North American Digital Economy Summit, San Diego, California (November 2013)
- Russia as a New Comrade to Business in the American Southwest, Snell & Wilmer Global Connection (June 2013)
- International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, USC School of International Relations and the USC Shoah Foundation course, Rebuilding Rwanda: Memory, Testimony, and Living Together After Genocide, Los Angeles, California (May 2013)
- President Obama Issues Long-Awaited Cybersecurity Executive Order, Co-Author, Snell & Wilmer Legal Alert (February 2013)
- The ICTR: A Bridge Between Our Imperfect Past And Promising Future, Snell & Wilmer Global Connection (January 2012)
- Achieving Peace through Leadership in Karabakh, A.K. Rice Institute for the Study of Social Systems Symposium (2008)
- The Commitment Problem, Autonomy and Ethnic Violence, 8 Stan. J. Int’l Rel. 36 (Winter 2007)
- Who Will Save Darfur?, 3 Stan. J. Afr. Stud. 13 (Winter 2007)
- Why IDPs Matter in the Nagorno-Karabakh Conflict, 2 Stan. J. Russ., E. Eur. & Eurasian Stud. 81 (Spring 2006)
- A Geopolitical Analysis of Four Growth Scenarios for Armenia, Hearing of the Committee on Foreign Affairs, Parliament of Armenia, Yerevan, Armenia (2005)
- State Strength and Democracy: The Role of Nationalities and Ethnic Conflict, Stanford Initiative on Distance Learning Conference on International Security, Yaroslavl, Russia (2005)
- Denial, Politics & Justice: The Forgotten Genocide, Six Degrees: Stan. J. Hum. Rts. 26 (Spring 2004)
- Letter to the Editor, The Hill (2004)
- The Importance of Cultural Perspective, Newsweek (2003)
Professional Activities & Memberships
- 2020-2021 Chair, Houston Bar Association International Law Section
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Houston Young Lawyers Foundation
- International Litigation Committee, American Bar Association Section of Litigation
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy, Stanford University (2018)
- State Bar of California, International Law Section
- Young Lawyers Committee, Armenian Bar Association
- Board Member, Rice University Baker Institute of Public Policy Roundtable Young Professionals (2019-Present)
- President, Stanford Alumni Association – Houston Chapter (2018-Present)
- Alumni Mentor, USC Gould School of Law
- Pacific Council on International Policy
- Guantanamo Bay Task Force (2013-2016)
- Vice Chair of Eurasia Committee (2012-2016)
- Member of the School Board, Ferrahian High School, Cabayan Elementary School, and A.R.S. Pilavjian Preschool (2013-2014)
- Appointed by the U.S. Department of Defense as a legal observer to the 9/11 Military Commission in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
- Snell & Wilmer, Associate (2011-2016)
- Recognized as Pro Bono Attorney of the Year 2013
- Judicial Extern for Judge Dale S. Fischer in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California 2010
- Research Fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Moscow, Russia, studying energy policy, and served in the U.S. State Department Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs (2005-2006)
October 5, 2018
March 3, 2021
August 8, 2020