Alex Roberts has built his career on the pillars of leadership and service.
A former judicial clerk and AmeriCorps Member, he has seen the law in action from many angles and knows first-hand the value of careful discernment and the strong dedication it takes to be an effective advocate. His experience before judges and juries in a variety of matters equips him to be a trusted advisor to his clients, who come to him in search of solutions to complex problems.
Alex represents both plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial litigation, professional liability and attorney disciplinary matters, fiduciary litigation, business disputes, employment, trade secret, products liability, and personal injury matters, to name a few. He has deep experience in the oil and gas and other energy-related industries, professional services industry, construction, and real estate sectors, among others.
Alex currently co-chairs the Firm’s Hiring Committee and maintains a strong commitment to pro bono legal work. Alex has been repeatedly recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer (2016-2020) and was named to Benchmark Litigation’s nationwide Under 40 Hot List (2016-2018).
- Represented HP, Inc. in pursuing price fixing antitrust claims against optical disk drive manufacturer Quanta Storage in Houston federal court. With partner Alistair Dawson, secured $438 million judgment for HP, which was upheld on appeal, Hewlett-Packard Co.. v. Quanta Storage, Inc., 961 F.3d 731 (5th Cir 2020).
- Represented Cameron International Corporation (blowout preventer manufacturer) in the Gulf oil spill Multidistrict Litigation. After six weeks of trial, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana found that Cameron was not liable to any claimant and entered an order completely dismissing Cameron from the litigation.
- Represented individual pension holders pursuing fraud claims against brokerage firm in jury trial in federal court. Obtained a jury verdict of several million dollars. Case settled on appeal.
- Defended Texas-based AM Law 100 firm in case involving allegations of fraud and conspiracy. Alex obtained dismissal of claims against law firm under new Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 91a. The dismissal was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented electrical subcontractor in Florida arbitration pursuing claims against general contractor for breach of contract and fraud.
- Defended private equity firm against claims of trade secret misappropriation in Texas state court.
- First-chair jury trial in a federal inmate abuse civil rights lawsuit. Secured favorable plaintiff’s verdict for pro bono client following three-day trial.
- Obtained take-nothing judgment in favor of firm client, Meritage Homes, in first-chair bench trial in Harris County.
- Represented top 10 Fortune 500 company in trademark infringement lawsuit in Texas federal court.
- Represented top 10 Fortune 500 company in employment lawsuit. A former company executive brought suit seeking damages for stock incentive awards.
- Represented boutique law firm in a legal malpractice action in Texas federal court arising out of a copyright infringement action.
- Represented boutique Florida law firm in legal malpractice action in Harris County brought by former client.
- Represented defendants in housing discrimination lawsuit in Houston federal court over the sale of a multi-million dollar home.
Honors & Awards
- Texas Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2016-2020
- “Rising Star,” Texas Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2012-2016
- Future Star, Benchmark Litigation, 2016-2021
- “Under 40 Hot List,” General Commercial, Benchmark Litigation, 2016-2018
- Houstonia Magazine 2018 Top Lawyer
- Recipient of the 2015 University of Houston Law Center Alumni Association Rising Star Award
- Recipient of the 2013-2014 Texas Young Lawyers Association Outstanding First Year Director Award
- Distinguished Service Award, University of Houston Law Center, 2006
Publications & Presentations
- D. Beck and A. Roberts, Legal Malpractice in Texas (Third Edition), 70 Baylor L. Rev. 213 (2018)
- Co-Author, Anti-SLAPP from the Defense Perspective, 84 The Advocate 24 (2018)
- Presenter, 2018 Legal Malpractice & Ethics Update, TADC 2018 Summer Seminar
- Co-Author and Co-Presenter, Anti-SLAPP and Rule 91a Motions Update: Ending The Lawsuit Before it Begins, 33rd Annual Litigation Update, State Bar of Texas (January 2017)
- Co-Author, Texas Supreme Court Adopts Judicial Error Rule in Legal Mal Cases, The Texas Lawbook, July 2016
- Presenter and Author, Updates in Legal Malpractice: What’s New and What’s Next, 2016 TADC Summer Seminar
- Course Director, Success Strategies and Key Lessons for Young Lawyers, Texas Bar CLE, 2014
- Presenter, Understanding the Grievance Process and Tips on How to Avoid a Malpractice Claim, AABA Solo and Small Firm Committee, 2014
- Presenter, Grievance 101, HBA/CLE All Day Ethics, November 2014
- Panelist, Launching Your Legal Career – Tips for Success, Justice James A. Baker Guide to the Basics of Law Practice, Texas Center for Legal Ethics CLE, December 2013, Houston, Texas
- Presenter and Author, Strange Bedfellows: How the U.S. Congress and the Texas Supreme Court Have Changed Removal to Federal Courts in Texas, and Other Pitfalls to Avoid Remand, 2012 TADC Summer Seminar
- Note, Reservations on Tribal Sovereignty: How United States v. Lara Will Affect Indians, Tribes, and the Fight to Regain Independence, 43 Hous. L. Rev. 527 (2006)
Professional Activities & Memberships
- University of Houston Law Center Alumni Association Board of Directors, (President 2021-2023) (President-Elect 2020-2021) (Director 2017-Present)
- Houston Young Lawyers Foundation, (Immediate Past Chair 2020-2021) (Chair 2019-2020) (Chair-Elect 2018-2019)
- Houston Law Review Board of Directors (Vice President 2020-2021) (Director 2007-Present)
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel (Director 2018-2020)
- Houston Volunteer Lawyers (Secretary 2017-2019) (Director 2015-2019)
- Texas Young Lawyers Association (Director 2013-2015)
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Assistant Editor and Member Ex Officio, The Advocate, State Bar Litigation Section Report
- Member, State Bar Litigation Section
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Houston Young Lawyers Association
June 20, 2016
October 19, 2012
May 5, 2021
October 10, 2020
September 9, 2020
October 10, 2019
September 9, 2019
October 10, 2018
September 9, 2018