Joe Redden has tried scores of cases to jury verdicts in both state and federal courts, representing both plaintiffs and defendants during his 40-plus years as a trial lawyer.
His docket has included cases involving patent infringement, theft of trade secrets, product liability, oil and gas, breach of contract, fraud, personal injury, and complex commercial litigation.
In 1995, in recognition of his accomplishments as a trial lawyer, Mr. Redden was elected to fellowship in the American College of Trial Lawyers, a professional association whose membership is limited to the top 1% of the practicing Bar. In 2012, Mr. Redden was named as one of the Top 100 Super Lawyers in Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers, Texas edition (2003-2020).
- Defended a computer software company in a patent case in Marshall, Texas, in which the plaintiff sought $50 million in damages. Obtained a jury verdict that the client did not infringe and that the plaintiff’s patent claims were invalid.
- Defended the nation’s sixth largest bank in a patent infringement case in Marshall, Texas, in which the plaintiff argued for $200 million in damages. The jury found infringement but awarded only $27 million.
- Defended the manufacturer of an oilfield tool in a patent infringement case in the Eastern District of California. Served as lead counsel in two trials, one to a jury and one to the bench, resulting in a final judgement determining that all patent claims asserted by the Plaintiff were invalid.
- Represented a multinational chemical company in a complex trade secret dispute involving a process for manufacturing polyethylene. Settled the case on favorable terms after an eight-day temporary injunction hearing.
Drugs and Devices
- Represented a large pharmaceutical company in a diet drug case in Beaumont, Texas. Obtained a jury verdict that the plaintiff’s valvular heart disease was not caused by the drug.
- Defended a manufacturer of silicone breast implants in numerous cases in state and federal courts in Texas. Tried four cases to conclusion, obtaining three defense verdicts.
- Represented a manufacturer of bovine collagen implants in two lengthy personal injury trials in Houston, Texas. Secured defense verdicts in each case.
- Pioneered the development of the medical device preemption defense in numerous courts around the country, including presentation of oral arguments to U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Seventh, and Ninth Circuits and the Supreme Courts of Texas and Pennsylvania.
- Won a summary judgment dismissing some 75 cases filed in Harris County, Texas, against a heart valve manufacturer on the basis that the claims were preempted by federal law. The summary judgment was affirmed by the Houston Court of Appeals.
Product Liability/Personal Injury
- Defended manufacturers of motor vehicles in numerous product liability cases, including 10 cases tried to jury verdicts.
- Represented the manufacturer of a shotgun whose barrel exploded, blinding the plaintiff. Obtained a federal jury verdict in Houston in favor of the manufacturer.
- Defended a large trucking company in a wrongful death case brought by children of a deceased mother who was decapitated after driving under the trailer. Settled the case on favorable terms after five days of trial.
Honors & Awards
- Named in Best Lawyers in America – Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, 1995 – 2021
- Named to Thomson Reuters Texas Super Lawyers – Civil Litigation: Defense, 2003 – 2020
- Named in Global Leader in Product Liability Defense by Who’s Who Legal, 2020
Publications & Presentations
- Patent Litigation in the Eastern District of Texas, presented at Patent Trolls 2007, London, England (December 2007).
- Testimony From Your Own Witnesses: Direct Examination Strategies, presented at The Jury Trial 2005, University of Houston Law Foundation
- Unsinking The Ship: Salvaging The Case When The Company Representative is Torpedoed in a Video Deposition, presented at U. S. Law Seminar, 2005
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Alexis de Tocqueville Society of The United Way
October 19, 2012
October 19, 2012
October 19, 2012
October 10, 2020
August 8, 2020
September 9, 2019
August 8, 2019
September 9, 2018
August 8, 2018