For over two decades, Jeff has represented plaintiffs and defendants in complex trials and arbitrations.
A lifelong Houstonian, Jeff focuses his practice on helping businesses and individuals resolve complex issues and disputes successfully and efficiently. Jeff approaches each case with a keen attention to detail, and he works with his clients to simplify complex issues into a persuasive presentation. He has won verdicts and achieved favorable outcomes for clients in courts not only in Texas, but throughout the country.
Jeff’s litigation skill and achievements have been recognized by his peers, including as one of the Best Lawyers in America for Product Liability Litigation (2013-2021) and a “Super Lawyer” in Business Litigation.
Jeff’s practice includes a broad range of business matters, including commercial transactions, business torts, trade secrets, intellectual property, oil and gas, products liability, fiduciary claims, partnership and LLC disputes, professional malpractice, employment-related matters, securities, real estate, and significant personal injury claims. Jeff frequently represents clients in high stakes cases, including a trial of claims seeking more than a billion dollars.
- Represented (trial and appeal) midstream pipeline company Enterprise Products Partners in its landmark victory against ETP. In 2020, the Texas Supreme Court ruled in favor of client Enterprise Products, clearing it of a $535 million judgment, and holding in a unanimous opinion that Enterprise and ETP never formed a partnership under Texas law to develop a proposed crude oil pipeline.
- Represents Houston based cinema company in Covid-19 related contract litigation. Client is seeking specific performance to compel closing of multi-million dollar sale by which large private equity company agreed to purchase chain of cinemas. The parties’ Equity Purchase Agreement specifically excluded pandemics from definition of Material Adverse Events that would excuse performance.
- Represents a Fortune 500 wireless infrastructure company in a federal lawsuit against a local municipality asserting preemption and injunction claims based on the city’s restrictions on use of the right of way for installation of wireless communications infrastructure.
- Represented a member of a Texas Limited Liability Company (LLC) in a membership dispute. The dispute was resolved through a negotiated purchase of the other 50% LLC member’s LLC interests.
- Represented a leading natural gas company in multiple trials arising out of gas supply contracts. Jeff tried two multimillion dollar cases for this client in Mississippi federal court and in Texas state court. The federal case resulted in a verdict in favor of Jeff’s client, and after a weeklong trial, the Texas case settled on favorable terms. Jeff tried these cases with partner David W. Jones.
- Defended a national energy commodities company against claims of RICO violations, negligence and breach of fiduciary duty. Jeff led the defense, including undertaking all depositions, discovery and pre-trial motion practice. Jeff negotiated a favorable settlement for his client.
- In a complex shareholder dispute, Jeff represented individual shareholders of a leading global hair care products company in defense of fiduciary duty claims brought by another shareholder seeking in excess of $10 million.
- Represents a prominent Texas family member in defense of tort and fiduciary duty claims alleging damages of over $300 million related to a closely held corporation and various family trusts and foundations.
- In a complex business case, Jeff defended a private equity investment company against securities fraud and RICO claims brought by an investor seeking more than $10 million. After the federal district court dismissed the bulk of Plaintiffs’ claims in favor of Jeff’s clients, the case was settled on favorable terms.
- Successfully pursued claims in arbitration on behalf of a major power and gas company based on swap contract defaults by an energy commodity trading partner. The matter settled favorably.
- Won a summary judgment on behalf of an AMLAW 100 Texas law firm in professional liability case in which plaintiffs sought damages in excess of $170 million. The summary judgment was affirmed on appeal.
- Represented an AMLAW 100 Texas firm in a professional liability case in which the plaintiffs alleged negligence in the handling of an estate matter. After Jeff undertook discovery and pretrial matters, he negotiated a favorable settlement for the client.
- In Mississippi federal court, Jeff represented a 500+ attorney Texas law firm in a professional liability case. The plaintiffs sought damages in excess of $200 million. The plaintiffs alleged that the firm’s client breached fiduciary duties arising out of their legal work on a merger between publicly traded construction companies. Jeff led the defense by undertaking extensive investigation, discovery, depositions and motion practice. Jeff negotiated a favorable settlement for the client.
- Won a summary judgment in an insurance coverage case in which Jeff represented a DNA testing company headquartered in Houston. The client sought coverage for third party claims under multi-million dollar insurance policies. The federal court granted summary judgment enforcing coverage under the policies. The Court awarded all attorney’s fees to Jeff’s client.
- Defended a prominent oil and gas exploration and production company against claims by a competitor for theft of trade secrets involving an offshore discovery. After substantial discovery and pretrial proceedings, the matter settled favorably.
- Won a jury verdict in Dallas in a case in which Jeff represented an international electronics technology developer and manufacturer in a trial involving claims of theft of trade secrets and breach of non-solicitation agreements. After a weeklong trial in Dallas, the jury rendered a verdict for Jeff’s client on all issues.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in claims against a senior executive for breach of a non-competition provision in an employment agreement. The firm obtained a permanent injunction for the client, upholding the non-competition clause.
- Successfully defended a former senior executive of a Fortune 500 company in an ERISA class action. The matter was resolved with no liability and no damages paid by the firm’s client.
- Successfully pursued claims in arbitration for breach of an executive employment agreement on behalf of a former senior executive of an energy company.
- Successfully defended a senior energy executive in shareholder derivative lawsuits alleging violations of securities laws.
- Defended an oil and gas exploration company against claims by a competitor for theft of seismic data trade secrets. After substantial discovery and pretrial proceedings, the matter settled favorably.
- Represents one of the world’s leading automotive safety component suppliers in a large docket of product liability cases. Jeff has represented this client for more than 20 years in dozens of catastrophic personal injury and death cases pending in courts across the country, including Nevada, New Mexico, Virginia, and throughout Texas.
- Won a dismissal in a product defect case in which Jeff represented an international bolt manufacturer in Galveston, Texas. As lead counsel, Jeff directed an extensive failure investigation, depositions, and motion practice.
- Won a summary judgment in a product defect case in which Jeff represented a leading Midwestern steel manufacturer and supplier.
- Won a summary judgment in a contract dispute in which Jeff represented a national steel supplier in Beaumont, Texas.
- In a contract dispute, Jeff represented a Fortune 500 company that designs health care software information and management systems in multiple lawsuits. Jeff’s client faced multiple claims of breach of contract, warranty and deceptive trade practices arising out of the performance of the software. After an investigation, depositions, and pre-trial matters, Jeff negotiated a settlement on favorable terms.
- Represented a commercial real estate company in an insurance coverage dispute arising out of property damage to a commercial building due to Hurricane Harvey. Case settled on favorable terms.
- Won a construction arbitration on behalf of a luxury residential property purchaser in a dispute with a developer over the terms of the purchase agreement. After a multi-day hearing, the arbitrator ruled in favor of Jeff’s client and dismissed the developer’s counterclaim seeking termination of the purchase agreement.
- Successfully defended a modular building contractor relating to permitting and nonpayment claims. The case was settled on favorable terms.
Honors & Awards
- Named in Best Lawyers in America for Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2013 – 2021
- Named in Thomson Reuters Texas Super Lawyers – Business Litigation, 2019-2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated, 2020
Publications & Presentations
- Author, “Shareholder Agreements: Litigation Perspectives,” State Bar of Texas Corporate Counsel Review Volume XXXVIII, November 2019
- Speaker, “Anatomy of a Landmark Case: ETP v. Enterprise Products,” Institute for Energy Law (IEL) 18th Annual Energy Litigation Conference, 2019
- Speaker, “Partnership Formation Litigation”, Houston Bar Association’s Litigation Section, 2019
- Speaker, “Shareholder Agreements: Litigation Perspectives”, Texas Bar Essentials of Business Law Conference, Dallas, Texas, 2019
- Speaker, Labor & Employment Law -Texas Lawyer Roundtable Series, 2009
- Speaker, The Jury Trial, University of Houston Law Foundation CLE, 2009
- Speaker, Recent Trends in Legal Malpractice Litigation: Personal Injury Litigation Update CLE – Dallas, Texas, 2008
- Ethics in Aggregate Settlements, Ainsworth, J., Golub, J., TADC Summer Meeting, 2001
Professional Activities & Memberships
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Institute for Energy Law (IEL), Advisory Board Member
- Houston Bar Association
- Member – CLE Committee
- Member – Golf Tournament Committee; 2019 Tournament Co-Chair
- State Bar of Texas – CLE Committee
- Bo’s Place Board of Directors
- Emory College Alumni Board
- Anti-Defamation League Regional Board of Directors
- Alzheimer’s Association Southwest Region Board of Directors
January 31, 2020
July 16, 2018
January 13, 2016
December 12, 2020
October 10, 2020
August 8, 2020
September 9, 2019
August 8, 2019
September 9, 2018
August 8, 2018
August 8, 2018